With advancements in modern technology and medicine, we now have answers to questions that puzzled scientists for centuries. Diseases that were deadly and incurable seem less threatening now that we’ve found a way to treat them.
In general, there’s a solution to most health problems correcting them as we have never imagined in the past. So, if you have bad vision, the happy dilemma is what method should be used to correct this condition. Well, there are several effective methods, including Visian ICL and LASIK. These methods have been approved by the FDA to be safe and effective. We will elaborate more on these procedures to help you understand which is superior, more suitable, or safer for you.
Benefits of Visian ICL
What is ICL? Well, it stands for Implantable Collamer Lens, also known as Implantable Contact Lens. Unlike other procedures, this surgery is reversible. This means that you can remove or exchange the Collamer lens, at any time after the surgery. The ICL eye surgery is safe, brings results almost immediately, but most importantly, it leaves your eye in its most natural condition while correcting vision. The ICL implant is a very soft lens composed of biocompatible collagen copolymer that is found naturally in the body. There is no rejection of the ICL lens and does not cause irritation or dryness like regular contact lenses.
As mentioned above, ICL corrects vision while leaving the eye in its most natural condition. Thus, there is no cutting of the cornea or tissue removal, altering the shape of your eye. Also, the recovery time is very short. So how is all this possible? To answer that question, let’s first explain how the procedure is done.
Instead of making a big incision on the cornea, as you would in LASIK surgery, the eye surgeon creates a tiny incision, about 2.5 mm in length. This opening will be enough to insert a folded lens, which, once inside the eye, unfolds itself into its original shape. Thus, with a very small incision, your eye heals much faster while getting a great result. ICL surgery recovery time is usually 24 hours, and in most cases, you’ll be ready to go home about an hour after the surgery. You will be able to continue with most of your everyday activities the following day. The great feature of ICL surgery is how fast your vision recovers with a high degree of stability. Thus for most people, the great vision that they attain right after the surgery is the same great vision they will have for many years. The same may not be true with other forms of vision correction surgery such as LASIK.
Here are some of the actual benefits of choosing Visian ICL:
- Vision improvement is instant and can correct nearsightedness and astigmatism.
- Your vision tends to be better than when compared to other forms of vision correction surgery. Often patients can obtain a high definition vision which is better than glasses. This means sharper, clearer, and significantly better overall sight than before.
- Very fast recovery, which means that you will be able to go back to work or everyday life, one to two days after the procedure.
- It’s designed to stay permanent, yet it can be removed at any time. However, most often it does not need to be removed as the ICL does not cause irritation or dryness like the regular contact lenses.
- UV protection is not a common thing with contact lenses, but with Visian ICL, it’s a standard added feature. Prolonged exposure to UV lights can damage the retina and affect your overall sight. With ICL implantable contact lenses, you’ll be safe from UV.
Benefits of LASIK Treatment
LASIK treatment (Laser-assisted in Situ Keratomileusis) or laser vision correction eye surgery, is the correction of myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism. So, if you’re wearing glasses for nearsightedness or for any reason other than for age-related reading difficulty, it may be time to consider LASIK laser eye treatment.
The reason why you’re experiencing nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism symptoms is due to the curvature of the cornea which is not in proportion with the length of the eye. Because of this, the light can’t be focused properly as in an eye that does not require glasses. This imbalance between focusing parts of the eye such as the cornea and lens, and the length of the eye, prevent people from seeing well without glasses.
The ophthalmologist can correct this imbalance with LASIK treatment. Using modern laser technology, we can now reshape even the most delicate parts of your eye such as the cornea. By changing the shape of the cornea, the basic focusing functions of the eye are properly restored. The downside of LASIK treatment may be the dryness, glare and halos, and possible change in the vision as you age. While all these symptoms improve with time, some of the symptoms may be permanent. However, with the advancement in laser technology, these symptoms have improved significantly from the earlier days of LASIK.
Here are some benefits of the Lasik treatment:
- Significantly improved vision. Most people become free from glasses starting the very next day.
- It is a painless procedure that requires very little maintenance after the surgery. So, unlike other surgeries, you won’t have to walk around with bandages or any other sign that you had surgery. You’ll be able to return to your job or everyday activities without any sign to other people that you had something done.
- A drastic drop or complete freedom from dependence on glasses or contact lenses. Most patients don’t even need eyeglasses after surgery. It mainly depends on the severity of the condition of the eye before the surgery.
- The person feels no pain during the procedure and the anesthesia is local, in the form of eye drops.
Ideal Candidates for LASIK and Visian ICL
Any person between the ages of 20 to 40 may be a good candidate for LASIK or the Visian ICL procedure. Whether you’re suffering from nearsightedness or astigmatism, in most cases, you can attain the best correctable vision with either LASIK or ICL. Although ICL has better results in terms of predictability and stability of visual outcome, patients are very happy with correcting eyesight with either procedure. So, if you’re experiencing any of these refractive errors and are just tired of wearing glasses, you should consider these procedures.
With both LASIK and ICL, the entire procedure doesn’t take more than fifteen minutes per eye, and you’re ready to go home the same day. There are rarely any significant complications or side effects.
However, if you had a major change in your eye prescription in the last 12 months, you should wait until your vision becomes stable.
How Does the ICL Implant Affect Your Everyday Life?
This procedure is FDA approved, with a rate of 99 % satisfaction among patients. The lens is designed to feel natural to the eye, so you won’t even know that it’s there. Unlike contact lenses, you won’t feel an itching sensation or experience dry eyes, for example.
You’ll have a much clearer vision than before; your myopia or astigmatism will be a thing of the past. So with very little negative effects, you can expect the ICL treatment to solve most, if not all of your refractive problems. You’ll feel more focused than before because you’ve never experienced such a clear vision without glasses or contact lenses. Also, you won’t feel or notice that the implant is there, and no one else will either. The ICL implant is completely invisible to the observer.
Both procedures can help you have better sight, but LASIK and ICL correct your vision in different ways. The results are life-changing with either procedure, but you should become familiar with the pros and cons of both LASIK and ICL.